Monday, November 26, 2007

It's Official...

I hate Mondays. I hardly ever have good Mondays.

I put in my request for my Christmas PTO this morning at work. My supervisor emailed me back and said that it was tentative. This afternoon he emailed me back and said that my request had been downgraded from "tentative" to "unlikely to be approved". That means I will be spending Christmas in Minneapolis. It's the first time in my entire life that I haven't spent Christmas with my family. I'm not particularly religious, but I do think of Christmas as family time and I love the warm, safe feeling that I get when I go to bed (in "my" bed with my heavy down comforter and my parents just across the way) and the smell of pine in the air. It's also my brother's birthday.

My parents are discussing what to do. My dad sounds like he wants to come up to Minneapolis for Christmas and my mom wants my brother and I to come down either the weekend before or the weekend after. It just won't be the same. Christmas Eve is the one time I actually enjoy going to church-mostly because of the candlelight. I know that I can go to a service up here, there are plenty of beautiful churches and I've never seen a midnight Christmas mass, so this would be a good time to go to one. But my parents won't be there. There won't be the drive along the lake to see all the beautiful old mansions decorated for the holiday. There won't be the opening of one present and cookies after church. Or dinner with my grandmother's beautiful china. Or my brother's annual chocolate chip cheesecake birthday cake and my annual complaint of "Can't you pick anything else?".

I know I'm welcome at Evan's family's Christmas, but it just won't be the same.

In the grand scheme of things, me not being able to actually be with my family on Christmas isn't a big deal. At least I have family and other people to share it with. There are people who don't even have that. I'm just amazed at how much this is bothering me. I've been fighting back tears all day. Yesterday I was all excited for the holiday season. I never get excited for Christmas this early. Now I don't even want to think about it and I just feel kind numb.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, BIG bummer. It doesn't surprise me that you're upset. It's one thing to plan on your own to do something different for the holidays, it's another to be denied cozy traditions through powers beyond your control. I'll think grinchy thoughts at your superiors, if that would help!

Maybe you could think of it as a grand adventure, much like I assume going to Wales was. You had no idea what it was going to be like. Embrace the change. Go all out. And know that next year you'll appreciate a Wisconsin Christmas that much more.

Happier thoughts your way,
-ArtGekko

p.s. If you want a beautiful—but small—church for "midnight" Mass (they usually start at 10pm these days), I recommend St. Cecilia's in St. Paul, near 280 and 94 on Bayless Place, just off Raymond Ave. :) St. Cecilia is that patron saint of musicians. They do her justice.

Jen said...

Hey RC!

I had something similar once when I was in my 20s. I was living in Atlanta and couldn't get the time off to go north to be with family. So. . .they came to me. My mom, stepfather, & my grandma. (I don't have any siblings.) It actually was pretty fun. I found a bunch of things for us to do in the evenings and weekends. We opened presents around my little Charlie Brown Christmas tree. Granted, it wasn't the same as going to my grandma's for Christmas(our usual). But, it was actually quite memorable and I think we all really enjoyed ourselves and the fun of doing something different.

I think the thing that just really upsets us and irks everyone is when a boss stops you from doing something you were planning on - mostly vacation time.