Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Seriously, does it need to be this cold?


As I'm sure most of you have heard, the Midwest is under a severe cold snap right now. It's a brisk -6 with a -26 windchill right now. It's supposed to get down to -20 tonight with a -35 windchill. It does not need to be this cold. Seriously.

One of my favorite things to do when it gets this cold is to bury myself under a blanket with a cup of tea and a good book. I'm currently working on Stardust by Neil Gaiman and The World Without End by Ken Follett. A nice fantasy book and a huge historical epic-perfect for forgetting how cold it is outside.

The LTC featured in this post is called "Reading Pixie" and was made for a Fairy swap. The little pixie is so cute-I love his antennae. It's stamped in brown on tea-stained paper that I printed part of Mr Simonelli, or The Fairy Widower, a short story by Susanna Clarke, one of my favorite authors. I figured using a story about fairies would be appropriate, even though most people would have no idea what the story is. There's also a little rhinestone under the pixie. I wasn't quite sure about the orange paper and the burgundy background, but I think it works in a weird kind of way.

3 comments:

Stacy Christian said...

I have a hard time getting as excited as meteorologist Tom Skilling does about the barometric records we are setting. But it is a good excuse to curl up with the cats and just carve.
Stay Warm!
S

Anonymous said...

I saw the news report here in the PNW about the cold snap in Minneapolis and thought of you Red Cat. I hope you stay warm!
Camp Fire Lady

Anonymous said...

You know it's cold when you breathe in while you're outside and your nostrils freeze together!!

One more day of this, one more day....